Saturday 9 September 2023

[emrat:14238] Seeking help with tire pressure monitor batteries

My '13 Trophy has Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor system that is pretty simple. Strapped to the inside of the rim is a small battery powered unit that uses bluetooth to communicate to the computer. 

It worked very well and twice alerted me that the rear tire was deflating unexpectedly. First time a nail, the second a chunk of metal. 

The downside is the battery. After nearly a decade (I bought her new in '14) the rear battery is flat out of charge, and the front can't be far behind. 

For some reason Triumph thought it would be a good idea for some of the units to solder the battery in, I guess to get people to buy new units and have the dealer program the computer to use the new unit. The new units are priced in the "are you nuts?" range, over $150 each. A new battery is a couple of bucks. 

I can solder / unsolder a battery replacement. The Trophy message board has a straightforward how-to. My issue is removing, remounting and rebalancing the tires. I have never done that, and I don't have any equipment like tire irons, or a tire machine or a balancer.

If anyone has the tools and is willing to lend a hand telling me what to do I am willing to compensate for time in the time honored tradition of your choice of beverage or similar barter units. Basically beer and possibly food depending on how long that takes me and how much I curse.

A suggested way to do this without worrying about the tires is wait unit the next set is needed, take a saw to the old tires, do the work in the rim, then take them in for new tires. I don't want to wait that long as I have only put 1000 miles on these tires and hope to get another 5K out of them.

Let me know. I am located in Thornton in case that comes up as a question.

--
Jim Kerick
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CAFmOmr4speQpVCv48%3DOAGRyKMR1OaQtW1zM%3D5OgvZPjMF%2BWnmA%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment