Thursday 22 September 2022

Re: [emrat:13762] Weather change means time to swap out the summer air from the tires

Not sure which tires to recommend, but Performance and other places will mount and balance tires as long as you bring the wheels to them. 

They might have an answer about the sensors, but seems like that may be a dealership question. 


On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 2:33 PM Jim Kerick <jim.kerick@gmail.com> wrote:
Heavy bike?

It isn't fat, just big framed.

Now the debate is wait till spring and deal with the tires till then, or do get new now.

Jim

mashed out with large thumbs on a small screen with autocorrect interjecting itself

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022, 13:38 Martin Richard <martinarmy1961@gmail.com> wrote:
Concur with this.  I just put a set of Road 6 GT's on my R1200RT.  

I "discovered" Michelin Pilot Road GT's when I had my R1150R and they are now my go-to tire.  

Jim, I think for a heavy bike like your Trophy the Road 6 GT would be a good tire.  

Mine did great on the South Dakota trip which included everything from chilly temps (frost on my seat every morning) to 95 degrees going across Nebraska.  

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 6:36 AM Jim Baker <beaker@pobox.com> wrote:
I have always loved Michelin Pilot Roads, and am annoyed I can't get them for the Bonneville.

Cheers,

Jim

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 11:03 PM Jim Kerick <jim.kerick@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

So I had to go down east of the Springs for work again today. Schriever Space Force Base is about a 115+ mile haul for me from Thornton and not close to much of anything.

I got on the Trophy at 5:15, stopped for gas and noted the tire pressures showing were about 3 lbs less than when I checked them a week ago. I thought, okay, borderline, these will heat up as I ride.

Well they weren't heating up well. The sun still was down, traffic was traffic, and the pressure for the rear was showing 40, supposed to be 42 cold, and the front was showing 35, where it should be 36.

As I got south of Denver on I-25, and started going up toward Monument the rear pressure dropped despite doing a wee bit over the speed limit. (I am quite upset with myself for violating a speed law, so please don't heap humiliation upon my shame).

Given that two plans came to mind, first pull off the highway and use my portable pump to top up the tires, or get heat into the rubber using another method. I chose, kick the speed up. The Trophy SE marketing claims it produces 134 hp at 8900 RPM. My RPM was lower, I was in sixth and traffic thinned out.

Before I rode home I used the previously mentioned electric pump to get the air pressure up. It was also 90 at 3:15 PM, so I really need to check the tires in the AM before I ride next.

I have over 6000 miles on the Avon Roadtec 01 and the rear is getting mighty square, and the front is also showing wear. I looked and found I put these tires on in 2017. So I am averaging 1250 miles per year. Since I worked from home during 4 of the 5 years, and I have usually done a lot of my riding commuting I see a bit of why I haven't ridden as much. Health issues like a partially torn elbow tendon stopped me riding for a while, if I can't pick up a cup of coffee, I shouldn't try to ride was my thought. Still, damn I need to ride more now that I don't have the health issues as an excuse.

So I need to find new tires, a place to mount them, and possibly replace the tire pressure sensor batteries. That might be a joy as some of the Trophy's have the batteries soldered in. 

While I have no issue with pulling the tires from the bike, I have never taken a tire off the rim. Any advice? If your advice is don't bother and let the batteries keep popping a low voltage error until the bike is rolling, I understand.

As for new rubber, I am leaning to staying with the Metzler SportTec 01 SE. The 01 set gave good traction, feedback, good in the wet, and lasted about what i expected. I got 6K from stock Pirreli Angels, and Michenlin Pilot 4s.

I am open to suggestions of tires along the sport touring type.

Jim

--
Jim Kerick
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CAFmOmr41ZV3RrHHo9qDrCEVSBWramJ1W-Oz_EEaA2y5kYXtLbQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CAJ-TTdc6W1CEi-evSMq4UHu0m-uicpPPF-bBT6RD2Lh_X%3D3Psw%40mail.gmail.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CABgUJvLy%3DqDsktAHEFZxajikjUC4QbNO9tBNq-2Sb_7_eZrf8w%40mail.gmail.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CAFmOmr5v9VHmb1DFFEKOZ6kX%2BW0J5xRHy%2BEkLEB5DN7fOMxsSw%40mail.gmail.com.
--

 -= Tavis =-

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CAM7G3a9-mjcwXnxtnPhs0rcZOsPZo57US0P-%3DvHCj%3DUCd9TL%3DA%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment