Monday 23 August 2021

Re: [emrat:12947] Starter dual sport recommendations?

I know a guy who recently purchased a Royal Enfield Himalayan, because he found the big ADV bikes to be heavy pigs for cruising around on the dirt trails and he is absolutely in love with it.  It is something to consider.  I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.

Otherwise for a tall bike that is great off-road and adequate on it, you can't go wrong with a KTM 500 EXC-F.   

Or if you wan't something that can also bit kitted as a light ADV, we *LOVE* our KTM 690 Enduro R.  That bike is just fun to ride.


Sean Donnelly



On Aug 23, 2021, at 5:50 PM, Martin Richard <martinarmy1961@gmail.com> wrote:

Rats:  After 39 years of exclusively riding on the street, I've decided to start looking for a dual sport so I can ride on mild trails and dirt roads.  Any recommendations for a beginner?  Any of you planning on any trail rides that I could tag along on and maybe take a turn on a bike to see if it's something i'd like before I go out and buy one?  

About the only requirements for me are (1) has to be street legal because I don't want to have to trailer it to the trailhead, (2) Would strongly prefer an electric starter because I'm not sure my old knees can take a kick starter and (3) would like to stay under $3k used.  

I know the KLR is the "go to" for a lot of people but looking at the specs it seems like a heavy pig and I'd like to avoid a bike that's excessively heavy.  I'm also concerned that something too small (200 - 250 class) might not be enough power wise.  I'm fairly tall (6'1") so a taller bike is OK.  

I know Kawasaki has the KLR/KLX in a 400 class, Honda and Suzuki have 400 class (XR and DR) but I'm not sure what Yamaha has in that class.  

Thanks in advance and if anybody has a bike for sale or knows of one that might work for me, shoot me a message.  

Thanks! 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CABgUJvJ7HW8mnt7%2B_xBUcrCWmCRQuJNWmaTiKA1GeXoy0PgwVw%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment