Monday 23 August 2021

Re: [emrat:12950] Starter dual sport recommendations?

Martin, I'm going through a similar process.   I think it depends on what kind of riding you want to do and how far you want to travel to make trails.  I've stepped down from an R1200GS to a BMW 800 twin, and I still think it's too heavy; I got into some trouble in Hotel Gulch last weekend, and that's a pretty tame double-track trail.  I'm now thinking I want to step down to a DR650; 360 pounds dry, the lightest ADV I am aware of that still can move its ass on a highway.

If you're sticking close to home and don't want to do multi-day trips where you need to carry gear, there are a lot of lighter, far more capable bikes that are still street-legal getting to the trail; the KTM 500 is a good mid-displacement one, and of course there are polenty of mainly-dirtbikes below that displacement as well.  

Cheers,

Jim

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 5:50 PM Martin Richard <martinarmy1961@gmail.com> wrote:
Rats:  After 39 years of exclusively riding on the street, I've decided to start looking for a dual sport so I can ride on mild trails and dirt roads.  Any recommendations for a beginner?  Any of you planning on any trail rides that I could tag along on and maybe take a turn on a bike to see if it's something i'd like before I go out and buy one?  

About the only requirements for me are (1) has to be street legal because I don't want to have to trailer it to the trailhead, (2) Would strongly prefer an electric starter because I'm not sure my old knees can take a kick starter and (3) would like to stay under $3k used.  

I know the KLR is the "go to" for a lot of people but looking at the specs it seems like a heavy pig and I'd like to avoid a bike that's excessively heavy.  I'm also concerned that something too small (200 - 250 class) might not be enough power wise.  I'm fairly tall (6'1") so a taller bike is OK.  

I know Kawasaki has the KLR/KLX in a 400 class, Honda and Suzuki have 400 class (XR and DR) but I'm not sure what Yamaha has in that class.  

Thanks in advance and if anybody has a bike for sale or knows of one that might work for me, shoot me a message.  

Thanks! 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CABgUJvJ7HW8mnt7%2B_xBUcrCWmCRQuJNWmaTiKA1GeXoy0PgwVw%40mail.gmail.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rmrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rmrat/CAJ-TTdcK0RDg9j5JhAHXddQMnodrovN%3DgA9wXTos6Z4Fmk6dHg%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment