Wednesday 13 April 2016

Re: [emrat:8561] United Dirt Bike School

David


I realise this is a little,but next time you plan to haul a motorcycle,contact me first.l have a bike friendly trailer that you can borrow at any time.



                      E-Steve


Sent from my Sprint phone


------ Original message------

From: David Cardwell

Date: Wed, Apr 13, 2016 12:23 PM

To: emrat@googlegroups.com;

Subject:Re: [emrat:8553] United Dirt Bike School


Hopefully these pics attach. When the bike fell over, the tab that has two holes for the tie downs and a clamp to store the ramp, it bent completely over. I bent it back but you can see where the power coating has come off that the metal is creased. 
Im not sure if the best fix would to just weld a plate over the crease or just grind off that whole piece and add another. It doesn't have to look pretty and a rattle can will tidy anything done up :o)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Steve Smith <shmitty74@gmail.com> wrote:
Dave, I do a bit of welding from time to time. Send me a picture of what you want fixed and I'll let you know if I can help you out. 


On Tuesday, April 12, 2016, David Cardwell <limeycardwell@gmail.com> wrote:
I bought my 2009 KLX 250S back in November, its street legal and I have ran it around town a few times but Sunday was the first time that I've had it 'off road'. Same for the bunch of used dirt bike gear I bought off craigslist, first time clamping down them boots, not sure if my pants go in or over? I figured out that they needed to go in as I also had shin/knee pads, then the body armor, expecting to feel like the Michelin man but really its all designed to be low profile and protect you where you need it.

So once kitted up, Michael goes over the basics of the bike then we get straight into the exercises. Some seemed kinda basic until you do it standing up on the bike, the balls of your feet on the pegs and leaning forward, it just didn't feel natural. I mountain bike and figured that would help me but nah, its a different ball game especially when theres a throttle involved :o)
I pretty much stayed in first gear for most of the day, now and again shifting up to second which can be a challenge when ya bustin over rough terrain. Mike suggested that I adjust my shifter as it was a bit too low, not enough room to get my toe under the shifter peg but more on that in a minute...

I was the only one in class so it went pretty fast. Im right handed so tight right turns came easy but making a left seemed to screw me up tho I had plenty of time after all the exercises to practice what I had just done, then I got to go ripping around the course that he had mowed and while it was exhilarating blasting over the terrain faster than I have ever done on a mtn bike, its also very hard work. Now I know why most of the gear has mesh in it, I was sweating my butt off. Just standing up the whole time brings a certain fatigue to your legs and your arms are like shock absorbers. Im sure I need to get the bike dialed in to suit me better but being a noob I dont know exactly what that may be just yet. I know that I need plenty of practice.

The class cost $175 if you use your own bike or an extra $25 for one of their loaner bikes and I think that it is worth every penny! Its the best way to try dirt bike riding to see if you like it before you invest in all the gear. Luckily I loved it! Michael is a great instructor, hes very patient and makes sure you are comfortable with each exercise before he moves on to the next. He can also adjust his class to cater to the larger dual sports which are a bit harder to pick up. I only fell off twice which wasn't too bad, both times I was leaning back when I wasn't meant to be and hit the dirt with full on whiskey throttle :o)

I dont have room at the house for a trailer so I had to buy a hitch mounted style rack and getting the bike on/off and strapping it down was quite the experience. The ratchet style tie downs do a pretty good job of holding the bike and Michael was there to help me unload it but when I got home, I wasn't prepared for what was about to happen. I undid the ties on the wheels and over the seat so I was just left with two, each side of the handlebars. I had decided to undo the strap closer to the tailgate so the bike wouldn't lean into my car and was expecting it to slowly release the pressure but instead its like a quick release and the biked tipped over like it was jet propelled, super fast, dragging my arse over with it. I guess I maybe had the suspension cranked down too tight? 
The tie down point was completely bent over and after I bent it back the metal looks fatigued so I may have to take it some place to get welded/reinforced. It was also the exact spot where it met the shifter. Oh and left strap was still attached so with the weight of the bike teetering on it, I had to get a neighbor to help me get the bike upright. The shifter got mangled but hey I needed to adjust it anyways, seems theres plenty of aftermarket goodies available for these bikes, and luckily I have hand guards or I would be replacing a clutch lever as well. I've got everything back to working condition, just now it looks like its been used. 

Michael recommends Steeles for used bike bits and if anyone has a welder, feel free to let me know if you would like a little project? Have beer, will travel :o)
Also would love to hear any tips and suggestions, maybe theres different straps I should be using?

The whole dirt bike thing is gonna be a learning curve but the main thing is that I enjoyed the whole experience and I cant wait to get out on some trails. Hopefully it will make me a better rider on the street too.

Cheers.


On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Dan Pilcher <dpilcher@cochamber.com> wrote:

David, how was the class at United Dirt Bike School?  And did Michael show you his "man cave"?

 

Dan Pilcher

 

From: emrat@googlegroups.com [mailto:emrat@googlegroups.com]On Behalf Of David Cardwell
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2016 2:22 PM
To: emrat@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [emrat:8512] CHUCK FERRARI RIDE IS A GO - SUNDAY APRIL 10TH

 

I thoroughly enjoyed last year riding down to the Aviation museum in Pueblo so kinda bummed that I cant join you all tomorrow but Im finally taking a class at United Dirt Bike School out in Strasburg. I originally signed up last September after Dan Pilcher sent out the details but had to cancel due to it being the same day as the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. We subsequently rescheduled for Nov, Feb then March but all got cancelled due to snow. Finally the conditions are good enough!

 

Hope you all have a safe ride and I will try not to break anything :o)

 

Limey

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


<

0 comments:

Post a Comment