Thursday 19 July 2018

[emrat:10790] An Update on Me

Hey all. Wanted to provide a quick update on myself since we are approaching the start of Triumph in the Rockies. I was initially 50-50 on attending, but due to some physical issues, I will not be able to make it.

First the good news...over the past few months, I have been able to take a number of short (30-90 min) motorcycle rides! They went great, no anxiety, and I'm feeling much better mentally than I was a year ago. I spent a great deal of time in meditation as well as Yoga 3x a week that greatly helped me to work through some of the anxiety and panic attack issues I mentioned earlier. I'm excited to be riding again, but afraid my ability to ride long distances will take some time...

...that's the bad news. Since last year's event, I started to experience mild numbness and tingling in my left arm that started at my upper back and went all the way down my arm to my thumb. Initially, this only happened every so often, but over the last year, the problem has gotten worse both in duration and intensity. Had a number of tests done and my recent MRI provided a clear indication of the issue. My C5-C6 in my spine is compressed to the point where the nerve is completely pinched and is causing the intense numbness, tingling -- and most recent -- loss of grip strength (something kind of important when riding a motorcycle 😁 ) 

I have consulted a neuro surgeon and I will be doing PT for a few weeks to see if that helps. Based on my situation, it most likely will not and I will need to get an Anterior Cervical Discetomy and Fusion (basically they cut through my neck to replace the cervical disk with a titanium one). Doesn't sound pretty, but I have heard from many people that they have seen great results after this kind of surgery (if any of you have gone thru this or know someone who does, would love to know -- send me email at peltz.chris@gmail.com).

Long and the short...while now mentally I am ready to ride, my body most likely could not handle it and I don't want to risk it. I am extremely bummed that this will be the first Triumph in the Rockies that I will miss since I joined the group, but I am confident that I will be joining a ride with some of you sometime in the near future.

I hope everyone going has a great time -- please have a few beers (or Margaritas & Ceviche from the restaurant - you know who you are) for me. And Manny...my wife and I will be planning a trip to your brewpub, so I can pick-up the shirt I ordered at that time.

Life is Short. Enjoy the ride!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment