Friday 22 November 2013

Re: [emrat:3211] Digest for emrat@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 1 Topic

You're probably right Curtis, I do tend to let them sit around too long. Not enough time to ride more than 6-8k per bike and keep my day job. Either less bikes or more time off. Tough decision...

The FD failures have happened across all variants of the line, not just GS bikes. I believe that it is a problem with the 1150s too, but not sure which FDs were more prone to have trouble.

Steve

On Nov 22, 2013 7:27 AM, <emrat@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/emrat/topics

    Steve Smith <shmitty74@gmail.com> Nov 21 10:14AM -0700  

    Martin,
     
    I agree that the R-Rs are nice looking bikes, and if they are anything like
    the GS I have I'm sure that it will handle great. They look to be fantastic
    machines, and I've tread a few reviews that praised them highly. However, I
    feel that I must mention a couple of things that I have noticed during my 4
    years of ownership that you may wish to consider.
     
    First is that the cost of ownership is considerably costlier than with any
    of the other bikes I've owned. Parts and accessories along with maintenance
    are a fair bit higher than most bikes other than H-Ds. Cult status has
    something to do with that I suppose, but it exists just the same.
     
    Second, and most bothersome to me, is the well documented final drive
    failure rate among these bikes. While there are plenty of them that have
    never had a problem, there are way more than there should be. My own BMW is
    showing signs of leakage at the rear drive, and it has only 32k on it. I
    haven't determined what the cause or repair will be yet, but it has me
    concerned. My Yamaha has over 65k and never leaked a drop. If you search
    the web for final drive failure stories, you'll find a ton of them. Not
    trying to scare you off of them, but you should be aware that it is not
    uncommon.
     
    Whatever you decide to do I hope that you get a great bike that gives you a
    ton of memorable miles!
     
    Steve S
     
     
    --
    Steve

     

    Curtis Graves <ikonoklass@gmail.com> Nov 21 11:10AM -0700  

    Martin,
     
    Steve is correct about final drive failure. It is documented extensively on
    advrider and elsewhere. However, I'm not sure the issue existed prior to
    2005, so you'll want to look into that, too, if an 1150 is on your radar
    screen. Regarding maintenance, you would want to have it serviced by Pete
    Homan, not a dealer. With Pete, a major service on my GS was the same as on
    my Sprint RS, around $800. My GS has been flawless, BTW, which suggests
    that Smitty is not riding his properly. ; )
     
     

     

    Anthony Sean Donnelly <sean1881@gmail.com> Nov 21 11:15AM -0700  

    Good points that Curtis and Smitty bring up regarding the final drive failures. I know that there have been a couple of people in the RMMRC that have traded their BMW's for that reason. One had the FD fail twice. That guy moved to a Triumph Explorer the other moved to a Kawasaki Concours. I am not sure of the model year of either bike that was having FD issues, but I do believe they were both post 2005.
     
    - Sean
     
     
     
     

     

    Martin Albright <martinjmpr@yahoo.com> Nov 21 10:50AM -0800  

    Steve and Curtis:  RE:  FD Failures:  Is that on ALL of the  R-series  bikes or is it primarily the GS models?  My thought is that it seems reasonable to me that exposing a shaftie to the rigors of off-road riding could lead to greater than normal failure rates (which may explain why BMW is one of only a few manufacturers to put a shaft on an ADV bike.)  I don't intend to ride on anything worse than a well graded dirt road which is why I'm looking at the R1100R/1150R rather than the GS bikes. 
     
     
    From: Anthony Sean Donnelly <sean1881@gmail.com>
    To: "emrat@googlegroups.com emrat@googlegroups.com" <emrat@googlegroups.com>
    Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:15 AM
    Subject: Re: [emrat:3209] Digest for emrat@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 1 Topic
     
     
     
    Good points that Curtis and Smitty bring up regarding the final drive failures.  I know that there have been a couple of people in the RMMRC that have traded their BMW's for that reason. One had the FD fail twice.  That guy moved to a Triumph Explorer the other moved to a Kawasaki Concours. I am not sure of the model year of either bike that was having FD issues, but I do believe they were both post 2005.
     
    - Sean
     
     
     
     
    On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:10 AM, Curtis Graves <ikonoklass@gmail.com> wrote:
     
    Martin, 
     
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

     

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment