Monday 14 November 2016

[emrat:9159] Tiger owners: Beware MadStad windscreen

I know we have many Tiger owners in the group and I'm one of them.  Awesome bike.  But the stock windscreen really sucked for my average-size 6" frame, with a steady windstream rocking my head at higher speeds.  After researching the options, it seemed like the MadStad was the way to go.  I talked to a Tiger rider in Taos last year who had one and he loved it.  So with a personal testimonial and some support on the internet, I went for this relatively expensive option.  The difference in wind management convinced me that I made a good choice.  But as described below, there was a big problem lurking that I had failed to pick up on in my internet research.  Anyway, below is my inquiry to MadStad and their disappointing response.  Really?  After paying for the "best" I should still have to scratch it up and/or paint it to make it work correctly?  Any of you Tiger owners have a replacement screen that you're happy with?  I'm in the market...again.
Brian W. 
2015 Tiger 800 XRX
------------------------------
...After installation last summer, I rode my Tiger from Denver to Seattle and back.  It was all daytime riding until we got out into western Idaho and rode into dusk.  The screen was loaded with bugs by then and as darkness grew, so did an annoying…and then dangerous…amount of reflection of my headlights into the back of the screen and illumination of the screen (and all those bugs) as light entered the bottom rim and lit the thing up like a neon sign.  

I have avoided dealing with it as I rarely ride at night be I did yesterday and the problem got in my face again, so to speak.  
What are people doing to fix this? 

--------------
Hi,Brian
Thank you for your inquiry.
This is what some of the riders are doing to fix this problem.
1.   Remove shield
2.   With painter's tape make a horizontal line across the lower 1/3 of the inside (facing rider) of the shield
3.   Scuff this portion of the shield with fine grit sandpaper. This step should take care of it by removing the reflective properties.
4.   An optional additional step is to clean the area, re-tape the same line, mask off the rest of the shield (both sides) completely and apply a coat of black spray paint recommended for plastic. Follow the manufactures directions for applying coats.
 This should solve the issue.

Best regards,
Jerry Edwards
MadStad Engineering

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment