Thursday 5 April 2018

Re: [emrat:10506] Re: Seeking Sprint / S3 955 info?

After reading Cpt Bob's comments, I'd have to say that my experiences are about the same. My 955 engined bikes were a 00 Speed Triple, 03 Tiger, and 04 Sprint RS. The Tiger got the most miles under my butt, and it's the one that used oil. The RS was the hottest running, especially in summer around traffic. Honestly though, they're great motors and powerful as well. 

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 09:11 bobvforward3 <bobvforward3@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's my experience, I bought my 99 Sprint 3.5 years ago with 3,800 miles on it, still had the OEM tires which were very similar to crumbling concrete.  Mine came with the original hard bags (love them, fits my XXL helmet fine on the right side), bar risers, Corbin gunslinger, OEM carbon can, and OEM heated grips.  I paid $2,800 + tax out the door at Unique Rides up north.

So far I've:

Replaced the fluids and put on it's first pair of PR4s upon delivery.
Replaced the plastic gas tank fuel connectors that notoriously crack and left me with a puddle of gas.
Replaced the fuel level sensor, another notoriously common issue.
Had the 12k valve check, nothing adjusted.
Replaced the PR4s with a new pair after 11k on the old.
A couple of oil changes thrown in there sometime.
New chain and sprocket at 15k.

Mine seems to drink about a quart every 5k miles, I usually top off when I do the chain lubes every 1k.

It had a short to the dashboard and tail light for most of it's life, Erico spent 8 hours over a couple of trips and couldn't diagnose.  I just carried a pack of extra fuses for if I got caught out after dark and it happened to be blown.  Sometimes the fuse would last for a week or two, sometimes just a day or two.  Mysteriously the short disappeared last summer and I've gone 5k on the last fuse replacement and I'm likely jinxing myself right now.

It's taken me to Taos a couple of times, an 8 day trip through Wy, ID, and MT last summer and most recently another 8 day trip through TX and NM a month ago.  I absolutely love taking it on trips.

As a long torso'd 6'2", it is the perfect size bike for me.  400 mile days are pretty common on the trips and busted out a 1k 28 hour trip to Tumcumcari no problem.

The heat is there when I'm downtown and or during stop and go during the summers but with boots and kevlar jeans it's never been a problem.

I just had a crank case bolt replaced on warranty that Foothills noticed had been neglected.

I just crossed 25k and it needs it's third pair of PR4s and the valve check this spring.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Bob




On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 1:08:45 PM UTC-6, Martin Albright wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of screaming deals on CL on older 955i bikes.  So, since we have a lot of them in the club, I'm looking for info that might be of use to a shopper....

Specifically:  What is the difference between the ST and RS sprint models?  I know one had clip-ons and the other had a round handlebar, but what other differences were there? 

With regard to both the Sprint and Speed Triple (S3) 955i, were there any known weaknesses, things to watch out for, specific models or years to seek out or avoid?  Mileage-wise, other than the usual valve adjustments (I presume at 12k intervals) are there any other maintenance issues to consider?  How robust is the EFI on these (as I've never owned an EFI Triumph?) 

Thanks in advance!

Martin

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
Steve

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment