Wednesday 10 December 2014

RE: [emrat:6014] Roadtrip. Route planning to Vegas

You can get the full flavor of Arches off the bikes with short walks.  Canyonlands is really more for overnight hikers and mt bikers.  See the film, then move on.  Zion and Bryce are the more interesting parks in my opinion.

 

From: emrat@googlegroups.com [mailto:emrat@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of limeycardwell
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:26 PM
To: emrat@googlegroups.com
Subject: [emrat:6014] Roadtrip. Route planning to Vegas

 

Ha, so I ran into Mr Pilcher today at Erico and he brought up a valid point about the possibility of bad weather (snow) during April 29th - May 6th. Pinkies crossed it will be nice the whole time or at least rideable but if it starts dumping snow then we will need a PlanB.

 

Dans info below is totally what I was gonna ask in a future thread but seeing as I already have my paper maps spread out on the dining room table, I may as well continue with my research. Manuel brings up another point, 120 miles with no gas station? wow! I pretty much know how many miles I get out of my tank, recently got 165 miles between fill ups tho I will round down that figure for a safety margin. Also not yet sure what my buddy will be riding. Side note, I went to check out a Honda VTX1300 for him today as he might just buy a cheap bike and keep it at my house as he wants to come back with the Mrs and ride parts of Route66 with a epic trip to be planned in 3 years when we all hit the big 5-0

 

So the first day, leaving Denver to Moab google maps says its 358 miles and 5 hrs 42 mins using I-70. Obviously it will take longer with pitstops etc but is it a good idea to get to Moab for an early start in the parks or should we take it easy the first day and stop in Fruita?

Both Arches and Canyonlands seem to have roads running into them, Arches Scenic Drive and Island in the Sky/Grand View Point Road, how bike friendly are these roads and typically how much time is spent in these parks? I would love to hike a few but my buddy isn't as athletic so I expect we will be riding in to snap a few pics then on to the next one, which is fine with me also :o)

As Dan suggested, heading south from Moab on 191 - 95 to Torrey via Hanksville is 250 miles so that will be day two taken care of. Day 3 leave Torrey south on 12 to 9 it looks like we should aim for St George or Cedar City? Or is it better to head towards Kanab and see the Grand Canyon from the north rim off 67? Day 4 through Valley of Fire to Vegas. I know most people hate Vegas but Ive lived in the sates for 25 years now and Ive never been so this is my chance I guess. Looks like just one day in Vegas now as we need a spare day, so Leaving Vegas theres a stretch of Route 66 to get to the Grand Canyon then stay somewhere just east like Tuba City? Next day up to Valley of the Gods then back into Colorado with either Ouray or Telluride on the list before back to Denver.

Hopefully theres some way to tag this thread so I can come back to it coz if its out like my GPS/Intercom thread, its gonna be a wealth of information. 

 

Cheers,

Limey.

 

 

DAN PILCHER. David, just a suggestion on your route in Utah, where I've spent a great deal of time since 1997.  If you have the time, you might consider going south from Moab on US 191 to just south of Blanding and then west on UT 95.  You can then head up to Hanksville on UT 95 past Natural Bridges National Monument.  Great scenery, curves, red rocks and Lake Powell to cross.  I rode this in 2007.  The faster, easy and more boring way to Hanksville is on I-70 via Green River and then south on UT 24 to Hanksville. 

In any event, Capitol Reef National Park is a hidden gem amongst the better known National Parks of Utah.  Torrey, the little town on the west side of Capitol Reef National Park, is a great place to stay overnight with a number of motels, restaurants, etc.

The real treat comes when you ride Utah 12 south from Torrey over Boulder Mountain and then across the Escalante River drainage to the town of Escalante.  This is one of the world's great motorcycle rides, and you will encounter lots of bikes on this road.  Headed to St. George UT, you also can check out both Bryce and Zion National Parks. 

 

MANUEL. Also, if you do decide to take I-70, between Green River and Salina, there is about 120 miles of no gas stations.  

Once you get into Vegas, a nice ride is to go through the Valley of Fire then over to the Dam.  There is a charged to get into the Valley of Fire, but the rock formations are really cool!

 

Regarding Dan's comments on Utah. I did this very trip (reverse direction) coming back from California and Death Valley last May.  A fantastic ride with almost no traffic.  Also, from Natural Bridges south on 261 is a spectacular overlook of the Valley of the Gods and a twisty mile-long descent down a narrow road (see attached photo) to the canyon floor.  Mexican Hat is a small town at the south end of 261, and from there it's a short drive to Monument Valley and the famous Mitten buttes panoramic overlook inside the Navajo Nations Park (see second attached photo).  Well worth visiting, especially at dawn or dusk.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment