Tuesday 29 July 2014

Re: [emrat:5305] tiger 800 heat

My experience has been that any motorcycle with a water-cooled engine is going to FEEL hotter than a bike with an air-cooled engine.

I don't know if this is because the water cooling allows the engine to run at a higher temperature safely, or if it is because the fan blows through the radiator and then onto the rider's legs, but it's something I noticed on both my 2001 Thunderbird (triple) and also on my wife's Suzuki Intruder 800, which are the only water cooled bikes I've ridden regularly.

If I was to guess I'd say air-cooled engines probably get hotter but with no fan to blow that hot air across your legs, you don't feel it as much. Although on some of my older 4 cyl Japanese UJM bikes the engine would get very, very hot and I could feel it on my knees, especially in slow traffic.

I think the best way to keep an air cooled engine from getting too hot would be to have each cylinder in a separate case that sticks horizontally out to the side to maximize air flow around the cylinder.

Now, let me think a bit...what company is it that does that??

Martin


--------------------------------------------
On Sat, 7/26/14, Brian Weberg <bw26354@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: [emrat:5290] tiger 800 heat
To: "emrat@googlegroups.com" <emrat@googlegroups.com>
Date: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 2:22 PM

Hello all you
Tiger 800 and 800 XC riders out there.  This morning I took
a test ride on an 800 and was loving it until about half
way through the ride when I began to feel like my right leg
was on fire.  Lots of heat emanating from the triple. 
Have any of you confronted this issue?  
 Thanks, Brian
W.



--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "EMRAT" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/emrat.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMRAT" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emrat+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to emrat@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/emrat.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment