Sunday 23 March 2014

Re: [emrat:4324] Who uses a modular?

Bob,

I could be mistaken, but I believe one of the reasons for this is that SNELLl is the standard used by MotoGP.  SNELL has yet to pass a modular helmet. Which is also why Arai does not make a modular helmet.  Arai took a more conservative approach to modular helmets and chose to take it's safety queues from SNELL.  Unless Arai designs a helmet that they feel will be passed by SNELL, they won't offer them.

I realize folks have their different opinions about SNELL, and my intent is definitely not to get into that debate with anyone.   Both MotoGP and Arai decided that SNELL would be their safety standard. Until that changes, you won't see one at either place.

- Sean


On Mar 23, 2014, at 6:14 PM, Triumph68T120R@aol.com wrote:

Can't comment about rising helmet prices Wayne, but I didn't see one rider in today's MotoGP wearing a modular helmet. The 3 crashes I saw made me think if a modular helmet would hold up with all those moving parts if your head impacted the pavement. I just couldn't imagine a hinged chin bar staying in place in a face plant. I will stick to wearing my FF Arai RX-Q thank you very much.

Bob

0 comments:

Post a Comment